Author Topic: greetings from Alec Himwich  (Read 2341 times)

alec

greetings from Alec Himwich
« on: March 25, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »
Hi folks,

I just joined.  I am an enthusiastic amateur photographer and was led to this website through a variety of references on the all-seeing, all-knowing web.  The references were the results of searches on website construction using Coppermine. 

I have a Coppermine gallery (http://www.alechimwichphoto.com/cpg) and am wanting to make it into a more fully function site. 

As for photographic interests, I like to photograph about anything.  But I like sports and flowers especially because I can just point my lens anywhere and not have anyone complain.  My wife is an environmental scientist so our vacations are usually to places of natural beauty which tests my ability to make myself a companionable spouse and photographer simultaneously.   I do have a "day job" so time I can spend on photography and its attendant activities are limited.

We are headed out to CO late this June and will vacation there for a couple of weeks.  Any suggestions about especially good places to visit would be appreciated.  I think the area of the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory is our most likely target area.

Cheers,
Alec

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: greetings from Alec Himwich
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »
Hi Alec,

Welcome!  Have you or your wife been to Gothic (Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory) before?  It is located in one of the prime areas in the Rockies for wildflowers.  The peak of the wildflower bloom isn't usually until the 2nd or 3rd week in July; however, since you will be there "a couple of weeks" you should be able to see much of the bloom.  At the end of June you should be able to photograph wildflowers at the lower elevations, and move higher as you progress into July.  I envy the time you will be able to spend there.   

I will be in that area starting about the 14th of July, and will be teaching a photography workshop there (based out of Crested Butte) from 18 - 20 July.  Rebecca and I have been there several times in the past, and would be glad to share our favorite locations for photography in the area. 

Robinson Basin (not too far away from Gothic) is one of our favorite wildflower locations, although the roads into the basin might still be impassable in June and early July.  We've also had good luck some years in the Rustler's Gulch area, although that seems more variable from year to year.  The hillsides along Gothic Road have also had spectacular lupine displays in past years.  If you enjoy photographing waterfalls, we can tell you our favorite locations for that type of photography as well.  (I'm posting from the road, so don't have as much information at my fingertips as I would like.  I'll consult my TOPO maps and post more information when we return to Colorado in next week.)

Let me know if you would like more information about other areas in Colorado as well.  (The Telluride area is also great for wildflowers in the mid-July timeframe.)

Keith

P.S.  Will you be driving a 4wd vehicle?  Some of the roads are only accessible by 4wd, so my recommendations may hinge on your answer.

alec

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
Keith,

Thanks for your response to my e-mail and your comments on website development.

My wife actually spent several summers at the RMBL as a undergraduate and graduate student.  It is one of her favorite places.  Her last time there was about 20 years ago.  Also she takes keen enjoyment in hiking and observing wildflowers. 

We are still working on our travel plans and are dithering over spending our two weeks in the Gothic area (with several day trips) or splitting our time there and doing a separate trip to Logan where she was a grad student.

At this point, I am pretty sure that we will not have a 4WD vehicle.  Although not having a 4WD vehicle severely limits our options, we will might reconsider.

I will definitely be taking you up on your offer for suggesting waterfall locations as well as other photogenic options when we have our itinerary firmed up.

Thanks,
Alec

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 07:00:11 AM »
Hi Alec,

Rebecca and I are back in Colorado for a week or so before heading off on our next adventure.  (To photograph the bluebonnets in the Texas Hill Country.)  Have you made any further plans for your trip to Colorado? 

I'll try to make some time in the next week or so to give you more detailed information on my favorite shooting locations near Gothic.  I'll probably start a new thread in the Photography Locations topic on the forum.

Keith

alec

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
Hi Keith,

We have settled on staying in the Crested Butte area from (about) June 23 to (about) July 3.

The search for accomodations is on-going.  And, we have still not addressed the question of the 4WD/2WD option for vehicles.

Glacial progress, but progress nonetheless.

Cheers,
Alec

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 07:34:42 AM »
Alec,

We've tried various B&Bs in the Crested Butte area in the past, and to be honest, none of the places we have stayed in would get my unqualified recommendation.  (Probably has something to do with trying to stay within a budget.  :) )

This year we have reservations at the Cristiana Guesthaus:  http://www.cristianaguesthaus.com  The "hosts" of the Guesthaus sound like a very nice couple, and we are looking forward to our stay there. 

One thing you might consider is renting a 4wd vehicle for a day or two while in Crested Butte.  These types of short-term rentals can be expensive on a per day basis, but will probably be less expensive than renting a 4wd for your entire stay.  In addition, the 4wd rented in Crested Butte will probably be a high clearance Jeep set up for the terrain, whereas the 4wd rented at the Denver airport will probably be a "crossover" passenger vehicle with limited ground clearance.  That would also allow you the flexibility of NOT renting a 4wd if the roads you want to explore are still impassable due to snow.

Unfortunately we will be visiting that area after you have already departed, otherwise I would invite you to ride with us for a day or two of exploring.

I have to get ready for a school class shoot this morning, and so will post more later.

Keith